How can I get diabetes if it doesn't run in my family?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Sometimes I see someone with diabetes whose parents don’t have it. Well, you are the unique joining of two family trees. Maybe mom’s side didn’t have diabetes. Maybe dad’s side didn’t have diabetes. But you do. Something happened when mixing your mother’s genes and your father’s genes that created a new family of people with diabetes. Everything starts somewhere.

Taming the Tiger: Your first year with Diabetes

If you ve just been diagnosed with diabetes, this book is for you! It is a fact. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes has the same impact on your body and soul as having a heart attack. Right now you are...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.