How can I get diabetes if it doesn't run in my family?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Sometimes I see someone with diabetes whose parents don’t have it. Well, you are the unique joining of two family trees. Maybe mom’s side didn’t have diabetes. Maybe dad’s side didn’t have diabetes. But you do. Something happened when mixing your mother’s genes and your father’s genes that created a new family of people with diabetes. Everything starts somewhere.

Taming the Tiger: Your first year with Diabetes

If you ve just been diagnosed with diabetes, this book is for you! It is a fact. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes has the same impact on your body and soul as having a heart attack. Right now you are...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
Why should I keep personal identification with my diabetes tools?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your personal identification should identify you and your medical condition(s) in case you become un...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Are DPP-4 Inhibitors?
What Are DPP-4 Inhibitors?