If I have diabetes, what should I discuss with my dietitian?

A dietitian can help you learn any of these approaches to managing your food:

• What types of foods and how much you need to eat every day.
  • How many grams of carbohydrates to eat each day to keep your blood glucose within your target range—and how to count carbohydrates (see more on carbohydrate counting in the next section).
  • How many grams of fat to eat if you want to keep your fat intake low. Generally, this means that the fat in your diet provides no more than 30% of the calories you take in per day. You may also want to discuss how to count fat grams.
  • How to adjust your meals for exercise.
  • Which foods to have on hand to treat hypoglycemia and sick days.
  • New ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
  • How to reduce your sodium intake—and how to count sodium in milligrams.
  • How to read food labels.
  • How to meet your nutritional needs when following a specific meal plan such as a vegetarian diet.
Constance Brown-Riggs
Your registered dietitian (RD) can assist you with all aspects of meal planning. When working with an RD you should feel free to discuss:
  • Individualized meal planning strategies.
  • Carbohydrate counting.
  • Questions about food labels and basic nutrition principles.
  • Recipe makeovers – making diabetes friendly meals at home.
  • Strategies for eating on the run.
  • The relationship between medication, activity, and diet.
  • Pros and Cons of herbal supplements and alternative diets.
  • Concerns regarding non-nutritive sweeteners.
If your RD is also a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) consider yourself especially fortunate. You will be able to discuss all aspects of diabetes self management including:
  • How to self monitor blood glucose.
  • Timing and frequency of glucose self monitoring.
  • How to inject insulin and other injectable diabetes medications.
  • Calculating carbohydrate to insulin ratio and sensitivity factor.
  • Sick day management.
  • Feelings and fears about living with diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
If you have diabetes, you may have heard of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS), also known as hyper...
How common is diabetes?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
According to the International Diabetes Federation, "the number of people around the world suffering...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?