With diabetes, why do I need to be aware of carbohydrate content of food?

You can’t get diabetes from eating too much sugar or other carbohydrates. However, eating too much isn’t good for anyone. Sweets contain lots of carbohydrates and calories, which can lead to excess pounds. Eating too much of anything (including sweets) can lead to obesity—and diabetes.

People without diabetes may not notice the immediate effects of choosing an extra doughnut for breakfast. Their bodies balance the extra carbohydrates by putting out more insulin.

But if you have diabetes, you have to do the balancing act your body used to do for you. You need to make sure that your carbohydrate intake is balanced with your insulin doses, oral medication and physical activity to keep your blood glucose levels on target. And, by eating more nutritious meals, you may improve your overall health and lower your risk for heart disease, some cancers and hypertension.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
What should I do if I take other medications along with diabetes drugs?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Oral diabetes medications come in pill or tablet form. Make sure you know when, how often and how mu...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Diabetes Treatment?