What should I do with my continuous glucose monitor if I go swimming?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
If you are swimming for competition, or if you just want to splash around in the hotel pool to cool off, you could just leave your monitor poolside. Presumably, if you swam daily, the medical tape that holds the transmitter to your epidermis might work loose, so pay attention to that. Otherwise, swimming is fine.

Remember the CGM sensors are waterproof, as are their transmitters. And while a few CGM monitors are water-proofish (officially “water-resistant”), most are definitely not.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
What medications interact with glinides?
If you are taking gemfibrozil, you should not take repaglinide. This answer was adapted from Sharec...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
If I Lose Weight, Can I Stop Taking My Diabetes Medications?