How do I take my continuous glucose monitor through airport security?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
The modern transmitters are just small enough in their metal content that more than half the time you can waltz through the airport metal detector unmolested. The monitor can be thrown in the x-ray bucket with your insulin pump, keys, wallet, shoes, and laptop computer with no risk of harm.

However, on a recent trip I was screened by one of those new peek-through-your clothes scanners at the Albuquerque airport and apparently my CGM looked suspiciously like a small bomb taped on my body. My advice: announce to security that you have a semi-implanted medical device on your body before entering this kind of scanner.

To make the airport security odyssey a little easier, there are several things you can do. Some CGM makers will provide you with a wallet card that explains to security what you are wearing. Get it laminated to make it look more professional. Also ask your doctor for a letter on office or clinic letterhead explaining your condition, your gear, and your needs. This will also help reduce the risk of having your glucose fluid and emergency insulin seized.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
How can I plan ahead for being hospitalized if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Ask your health insurance company which hospital services they cover and for how much. Also, many in...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Are the Side Effects of DPP-4 Inhibitors?