Do I continue my diabetes medicine if it lowers my glucose levels too much?

Peter N. Mattar, MD
Family Medicine
If your blood sugar level drops below 60, I recommend stopping your medication, eating a small snack, and consulting a health professional as soon as possible.  Your physician can make the appropriate changes to your medications.  Do not delay seeing a medical provider because prolonged discontinuation of a diabetes medication can have serious adverse effects.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.