Can I take Humulin if I am breastfeeding?

Humulin, a synthetic form of insulin for people with diabetes, is safe if you're breastfeeding because it doesn't pass into breast milk.

Insulin is a vital hormone in the body that keeps blood glucose (sugar) under control, so you should keep taking it. However, you may need less Humulin than you did while you were pregnant, because breastfeeding decreases your need for insulin. If you are breastfeeding, talk with your doctor about Humulin and blood sugar control. Your doctor may want you to check your blood sugar levels more frequently than usual.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.