Can stress increase the risk of diabetes?

Managing a busy to-do list and crazy work hours isn't just stressful. It also increases diabetes risk. Chronic stress causes your body to release extra stress hormones, such as cortisol. In turn, that causes insulin resistance, which makes blood sugar levels climb. Stress also contributes to other diabetes risk factors, including depression, a bad diet, and poor sleep. Manage stress with relaxation techniques, such as yoga and meditation. Spend time with friends or enjoy a nightly sitcom for some laughter.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
What things should I keep in mind if I have diabetes?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
When you have diabetes, it can be hard to keep track of all the things you're supposed to do for you...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Diabetes and Your Sex Life
Diabetes and Your Sex Life