Can losing weight lower my risk of diabetes?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
While researchers are not sure why being overweight increases the risk of diabetes, they do know from clinical studies that losing some weight helps prevent it. That came through loud and clear in a study of people at high risk for diabetes, who were overweight or whose parents had the disease. Researchers reported that these men and women cut their risk for diabetes by 30 percent simply by losing 10 pounds and keeping it off.
Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diagnosed with Diabetes? Try One of These Diets
When you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, knowing what to eat suddenly becomes a Very Big Deal. Forget about casually grabbing a cookie in the break r...
Why should I not refer to myself as a diabetic?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Think about what you really hope people will understand when or if you say that you are “diabetic.” ...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Eating Well, Living Well
Eating Well, Living Well