Can I eat popcorn if I have diabetes?

Popcorn can be a healthy, whole-grain addition to your eating plan, but choose the kind you pop on the stove-top or in a hot-air popper, rather than the microwave kind, and add butter yourself. Two cups of popcorn contains only 12 grams of carbs and gets you a couple grams of fiber, too.

Low-fat microwave popcorn cooks up in a snap. And it's packed with slowly digested whole-grain fiber as well as disease-thwarting antioxidants, making it perfect for people concerned about blood sugar and diabetes. And because popcorn is so light and fluffy, you fill up on fewer calories than you would with more energy-dense snacks like potato chips.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
What is the glycemic index and can it help me with my diabetes?
The glycemic index classifies carbohydrate-containing foods according to how quickly they raise your...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
If I've Just Been Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, What's the First Thing I Should Do?