Can I control my diabetes with nutrition intervention alone?

Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
Family Medicine

Type 2 diabetes can be controlled by nutrition alone - but the ability to do this should be determined by your doctor based on specific risk factors. Watch family medicine physician Jennifer Caudle, DO, discuss controlling diabetes with diet alone.

Reza Yavari, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Early on, Type 2 diabetes can be controlled with nutrition intervention alone; however, even at advanced stages, diet is an important element in diabetes management. Watch endocrinologist Reza Yavari, MD, discuss the impact nutrition has on diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.