Can children with Type I diabetes play sports?

Sure they can, as long as they check their blood sugar before playing and stabilize it if needed. It’s also smart to have a source of sugar on hand, in case their blood sugar drops. Many successful athletes have diabetes, including baseball star Ron Santo, world-class surfer Scott Dunton, and tennis ace Billie Jean King.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
Get a look inside one woman’s eyes, kidneys and pancreas to learn how her type 2 diabetes affects her body, as well as her daily life, with Sharecare’...
What kind of injected insulin is used for diabetes?
Rapid-acting forms of insulin include lispro (Humalog), aspart (Novolog), and glulisine (Apidra). Th...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Are Psychologists Starting to Specialize in Treating People with Diabetes?