Can children with Type I diabetes play sports?

Sure they can, as long as they check their blood sugar before playing and stabilize it if needed. It’s also smart to have a source of sugar on hand, in case their blood sugar drops. Many successful athletes have diabetes, including baseball star Ron Santo, world-class surfer Scott Dunton, and tennis ace Billie Jean King.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
What should I know before taking an SGLT2 inhibitor?
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. If you have severe kid...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
For the Good of the Family
For the Good of the Family