How can my bra size predict the onset of type 2 diabetes?

We already know that body fat influences the risk for type 2 diabetes, a condition marked by high blood glucose from ineffective insulin (insulin resistance), the hormone that shuttles sugar in and out of cells. People who are overweight are at much higher risk for type 2 diabetes because fat cells are less responsive to insulin compared to non-fat cells (like muscle). Breast development begins in puberty and continues through the early 20s. Young breast tissue is comprised of highly active fat cells, so breast size could be a marker for type 2 diabetes.

Using the information collected during a long-term Nurses Health Study, Canadian researchers found that women who wore a D cup or greater during their 20s had an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. However, it is unclear whether the hormonally active breast tissue contributes more to insulin resistance than other types of fat tissue.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
What professionals should I be choosing to help me manage my diabetes?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
It is essential to understand diabetes and how to manage the disease. It can be very beneficial to w...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
The Dangers of High-Fructose Corn Syrup
The Dangers of High-Fructose Corn Syrup