Why should I care about blood sugar if I don't have diabetes?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
Blood sugar problems affect roughly half of all Americans. To find out why people with diabetes aren't the only ones who need to worry about blood sugar, watch this video.
Yep, I know how it is. You don't have diabetes, so you're going to blow off thinking about blood sugar faster than a flight attendant blows off a flirty coach passenger. And that would be a mistake. You may think your blood sugar—which is a substance that can damage your arteries if levels are too high—is normal, but most blood sugar levels are recorded when you've fasted. Having "normal" levels (under 100 mg/dl) for fasting and for after meals (under 140 mg/dl) are important. Why? Because there's a good chance that even with normal blood sugar levels, your blood sugar may rise significantly throughout the day as you eat.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.