How can I control my blood sugar when I'm first diagnosed with diabetes?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
You won't have to drastically change everything you eat to control your blood sugar, nor will you have to spend hours each day at the gym. Instead, focus on making a few simple, but critical, habit changes that will help you drop pounds, if you need to, and improve your blood sugar levels.  At the beginning, the main focus in diet should be to adjust your calorie intake to promote weight loss at a safe, steady pace, and to eat the appropriate amount of carbohydrates.  You should increase your activity gradually with the goal of becoming a regular exerciser.  Your doctor may choose to start you on medication, though this will be an individual decision.  Using a blood glucose monitor to check your sugar at appropriate points in the day and recording these numbers alongside your meals and exercise will clue you in to whether your approach is meeting with success. 
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Whether it’s type 1 or type 2, having diabetes means you’re more likely to develop heart disease than those without the condition, more likely to deve...
How does LADA differ from other types of diabetes?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) -- sometimes called type 1.5 -- is considered to be clos...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?