How can I control my blood sugar when I'm first diagnosed with diabetes?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
You won't have to drastically change everything you eat to control your blood sugar, nor will you have to spend hours each day at the gym. Instead, focus on making a few simple, but critical, habit changes that will help you drop pounds, if you need to, and improve your blood sugar levels.  At the beginning, the main focus in diet should be to adjust your calorie intake to promote weight loss at a safe, steady pace, and to eat the appropriate amount of carbohydrates.  You should increase your activity gradually with the goal of becoming a regular exerciser.  Your doctor may choose to start you on medication, though this will be an individual decision.  Using a blood glucose monitor to check your sugar at appropriate points in the day and recording these numbers alongside your meals and exercise will clue you in to whether your approach is meeting with success. 
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.