Are sports drinks okay for people with diabetes?

Energy drinks and sports drinks carry all the woes of fruit juice with the added no-no of more sugars. They're basically lots of sugar and very low nutrition. If you're trying to stabilize blood sugar, steer clear of energy drinks and sports drinks. Go for water flavored with a spritz of citrus instead.
While flavored sports drinks like Gatorade and PowerAde have been designed to replace electrolytes lost during exercise, these aren’t necessarily the best choice for hydration maintenance for people with diabetes (or for people watching their weight), since they are often loaded with sugar and calories. Unless you’re trying to combat hypoglycemia, those extra carbohydrates aren’t necessary and can even sabotage your weight control plan. Consuming a small amount of salt (for example, by taking salt tablets or eating a small amount of food) along with water during or after exercise is another option for electrolyte replacement and is probably the better choice for most people. You can also make your own sports drinks by adding a small amount of salt to low-calorie flavored fruit beverages and flavored waters.
Toby Smithson

Sports drinks can be useful for long periods of exercise or if the exercise unplanned. For people with diabetes, it is important to regularly check blood glucose before, during, and after exercise. Sports drinks or other forms of carbohydrate may be needed if blood glucose is less than 100 mg/dL before exercise. Research suggests keeping blood glucose between 180 and 180mg/dL for optimum performance. Sports drinks may not be as necessary for someone with Type 2 diabetes if they are not at risk for hypoglycemia (dependent on their medication). In this case, sports drinks may only prolong increased levels of blood glucose. Check with a doctor before beginning any exercise program.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
How does the A1C test define diabetes and prediabetes?
After preliminary screening for prediabetes, laboratory tests of your fasting glucose level, oral gl...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
How Is My Body Mass Index (BMI) Related to My Risk Of Diabetes?