Are schools required to accommodate the needs of children with diabetes?

School districts and staff must provide an individualized plan to accommodate a student's special healthcare needs. Two federal laws apply to children with diabetes:
  • The Education for All Handicapped Act of 1975 entitles all physically, developmentally, emotionally, and other health-impaired children to free, appropriate public education. Any school that receives federal funding or facility considered open to the public must reasonably accommodate the special needs of children with diabetes.
  • Section 504 is a civil rights law that makes it illegal for any agency or organization that receives federal funds to discriminate in any way against qualified people with disabilities. Staff at most schools are aware of their obligation to support your daily diabetes care -- including helping with monitoring and medication. Still, they'll rely on you and your family to communicate your needs, teach how to meet them, and provide the tools to do so.
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Schools in all 50 states are required to accommodate kids with diabetes. Watch this video to learn what steps Eliot LeBow, a psychotherapist who specializes in diabetes, suggests parents take to make sure a child with diabetes is safe at school.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Do You Know Your Macros?
Do You Know Your Macros?
A healthy diet may be the most powerful tool you have to manage your diabetes. If you eat a balanced diet and pay attention to portion sizes at meals ...
What are the target blood glucose levels for pregnant women with diabetes?
Even if you have kept your blood sugar in good control before you get pregnant, it can be harder to ...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?