What should I know about the alarms on my continuous glucose monitor?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
All CGM systems have threshold alarms. Beyond that there are some important differences. Can you choose different thresholds for different times of the day, or are you stuck with one setting 24-7? Do you have rate of change alarms? Can you chose the rate, or are you limited to factory defaults?

Advanced alarm options - Some systems have predictive alarms. Hands-down, this is the single most desirable CGM feature, but still has to be balanced by considering all the other features you need or want. Lack of predictive alarms is not necessarily a deal killer.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
Get a look inside one woman’s eyes, kidneys and pancreas to learn how her type 2 diabetes affects her body, as well as her daily life, with Sharecare’...
How can I use portion control to help manage my diabetes?
Reprioritize portions to help manage your diabetes. It's not just about eating smaller portions; it'...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?