What happens at my first doctor appointment after diagnosis of diabetes?

If you are seeing your diabetes care provider or other health care professional for the first time, you will most likely be asked to provide a medical history. The forms and questionnaires may vary, but all will want the same basic information. Although many questions may refer to matters that you consider private, it is important to answer honestly and trust that your health care team will maintain confidentiality.
Because information related to your medical history will often be hard to recall - when was your last immunization, or how old were you when you contracted mumps? - ask that a questionnaire be mailed to you in advance. That way, you can answer all the questions more accurately and at a leisurely pace.
The more complete and correct the picture you provide, the better your health care will be. Most histories include questions about the health of your close relatives. Think about the general health and specific diseases that have occurred in your family, especially your mother, father, grandparents, sisters, and brothers. You will also be asked to provide a general inventory of your past and present health problems, such as back pain, appendicitis, headaches, and depression. Do not deny or hide any illnesses, such as psychiatric disorders or AIDS.
Dig out a record of your immunizations. You may even need to call past health care providers for dates and names of procedures. Here are a few health-related questions you might be asked:
• What medications are you currently taking?
• Do you smoke? Have you ever smoked? If so, how much, and for how long?
• Do you have any allergies?
• Have you ever been pregnant? What was the outcome?
• When were your last chest X-ray, eye exam, and dental exam?
• Have you ever been treated by a psychiatrist?
• Have you recently lost or gained weight? What was your maximum weight? What did you weigh at the diagnosis of diabetes?
• Have you ever been rejected for health insurance or employment for a medical reason?
• Do you use alcohol or any street drugs?
Some of these questions may be difficult to answer. You may not remember or you may not want to be reminded. Make an attempt to overcome your fears of being judged harshly by what you put on the form. A concerned health care professional will use this information to provide you with the best possible care - not to criticize you. What is important is achieving good health. After taking a medical history, your diabetes care provider will give you a complete physical exam.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Give Yourself an Insulin Injection
It’s natural to feel anxious about giving yourself insulin injections, particularly if you’re not a fan of needles. But keep in mind: Insulin is injec...
How can I know if a new diabetes product is right for me?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
This is one time when being a skeptic is a good idea. Many times, news releases make a product sound...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?