What are the ADA targets for blood glucose levels?

The American Diabetes Association has established recommended targets for glucose levels. These recommendations are based on the findings from research about preventing complications.

Before meals: 70-130 mg/dl

Two hours after the first bite of a meal: less than 180 mg/dl

However, the ADA’s goals may not be easy for you to reach. Or they may not be right for you. Why not see what your blood glucose levels are before and after meals and compare them to the goals listed above? Then choose a realistic goal for the short term. Perhaps you can make a few, small changes to slowly lower your blood glucose levels. 

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Monitor Your Blood Sugar for Diabetes
How can you tell if the goals of your diabetes management plan are working to hold your blood sugar in range? The easiest way is to monitor your blood...
What is a hemoglobin A1c measurement?
If you have diabetes, your doctor should measure your A1C level a minimum of two times a year. (If y...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Often Should I Monitor My Blood Sugar?