How do I account for eating later than usual with diabetes?

Just make sure to account for it in your overall daily nutrition. Always carry snacks with you. You never know when you might get stuck in traffic or delayed at work and start to go low.

If you plan to go out for brunch, eat an early-morning snack. Then, use your lunchtime meal plan and what is left of your usual breakfast plan. If dinner is going to be very late, have your bedtime snack at your normal dinnertime.

If you take insulin and can’t change the timing of your insulin dose, eat a piece of fruit or a starchy low-fat snack. You may need to adjust your insulin later to account for these changes, so ask your health care team how to do this.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Monitor Your Blood Sugar for Diabetes
How can you tell if the goals of your diabetes management plan are working to hold your blood sugar in range? The easiest way is to monitor your blood...
Is diabetes a new disease?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
No. Diabetes was known 2,000 years ago when Aretaeus of Cappadocia, the Greek physician, named it. H...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Are There Any Precautions I Should Take When Exercising With Diabetes?