What did the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) show?

The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) was a 3-year study by the National Institutes of Health and the American Diabetes Association, involving 3,234 people with prediabetes. The results showed that a 5 to 7 percent weight loss and 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week reduced the incidence of diabetes by 58 percent. Treatment with metformin reduced the incidence of diabetes by 31 percent.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Prevention

3 Tips to Defeat Prediabetes and Prevent Diabetes
Prediabetes and diabetes are rampant in the U.S., so in 2016, we offered several tips to help you get a handle on your glucose levels, if your blood s...
What is a certified diabetes educator?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
A certified diabetes educator (CDE) is someone who has special training and experience in counseling...
Can eating broccoli reduce the risk of diabetes?
The tasty green florets of broccoli are ripped with sulforaphane, a compound that seems to help keep...
Are There Any Precautions I Should Take When I Exercise with Diabetes?