Can diet and exercise alone ward off diabetes?

Diet, exercise, and medications can help control blood sugar and even prevent diabetes. Find out which are most effective as Drs. Oz, Steven Nissen, and Rita Kalyani discuss diabetes treatments in this video.

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
A healthy eating plan, weight loss, if needed, and regular physical activity has been shown to help decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes (but not type 1 diabetes). The Diabetes Prevention Program was a large-scale study that showed that lifestyle measures lowered the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Prevention

You Are What You Drink - And It’s Not What You Think
Celebrity endorsements for soda have been around for years. Remember Mean Joe Green’s 1979 ad for the softer side of Coke? Ever see Norman Rockwell’s ...
Can diet and exercise reduce my risk for diabetes?
Amy CampbellAmy Campbell
Yes! In fact, a large study, called the Diabetes Prevention Program, showed just that. Participants ...
How can I change my diet to lower diabetes risk?
By now it’s no surprise that diabetes and diet are closely related. These three simple diet tweaks m...
What Are the Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes?