Can exercise help reduce the risk of diabetes?

One of the most effective ways to lower your risk of diabetes is to be physically active. You don't have to join a gym (unless you want to!), just get your body moving—and your heart pumping—for at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Exercise ramps up fat burning and improves insulin sensitivity, which helps your body use glucose efficiently. So, make time in your schedule to run, bike or even dance. Just be sure you get a mix of strength, stamina and flexibility into your exercise routine.

Exercise can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. People who are not active are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, which means glucose in the blood can't get into the cells. Because glucose can't get in the cells, it builds up in the blood and gets carried around the body. This can cause damage to organs.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Prevention

How Does Movement Play Into the Obesity Crisis?
If I've Just Been Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, What's the First Thing I Should Do?
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?
Will There Be a Cure for Diabetes?
Will There Be a Cure for Diabetes?