Can diet and exercise reduce my risk for diabetes?

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Yes! In fact, a large study, called the Diabetes Prevention Program, showed just that. Participants in this study were able to reduce their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58 percent, even more so than those who were taking metformin, a drug used to treat diabetes. Aiming to lose between 5 to 10% of your body weight, and being physically active for at least 30 minutes most days of the week can help to lower your risk. If you need help with how to best go about losing weight, consider meeting with a dietitian who can help you develop a plan that will work best for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Prevention

A Mighty Way to Control Diabetes
A Mighty Way to Control Diabetes
The cartoon character Mighty Mouse made his first appearance in the 1940s. He had many superpowers including flight, X-ray vision and the ability to t...
Can eating whole grains reduce the risk for diabetes?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
The landmark Nurses' Health Study found that the nurses who ate the most sugars and refined carb...
How can we reverse the growth in obesity, prediabetes and diabetes?
Adopting a healthy lifestyle is essential in reversing the growth of being overweight, as well as ob...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Diabetes Treatment?