Should I tell my dentist about my blood sugar fluctuations?

If you have diabetes, you should inform your dentist, as well as notify him/her of any changes in your condition or other health changes. Diabetes puts you at greater risk for oral health problems, as it compromises your immune system. It is important to keep your blood glucose levels under control to minimize the chances of any infections and help the healing process following any oral procedures. Treating gum disease in people with diabetes can help improve blood sugar control.

Yes, talk openly with your dentist about any concerns. People with abnormal blood glucose are at higher risk for dental problems, including periodontal disease. It's important for your dentist to check your mouth thoroughly to help you prevent more serious gum and teeth problems down the road. Let your dentist know if you are taking insulin or any medications. If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and your doctor is watching your condition, your dentist should know this, particularly if you are undergoing a dental procedure. Blood sugar control is important for good health, and that includes good dental health. Working with your medical doctor and dentist, you can get the best dental treatment at a time when your body is the healthiest.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health