Should I tell my dentist about my blood sugar fluctuations?

Yes, talk openly with your dentist about any concerns. People with abnormal blood glucose are at higher risk for dental problems, including periodontal disease. It's important for your dentist to check your mouth thoroughly to help you prevent more serious gum and teeth problems down the road. Let your dentist know if you are taking insulin or any medications. If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and your doctor is watching your condition, your dentist should know this, particularly if you are undergoing a dental procedure. Blood sugar control is important for good health, and that includes good dental health. Working with your medical doctor and dentist, you can get the best dental treatment at a time when your body is the healthiest.

If you have diabetes, you should inform your dentist, as well as notify him/her of any changes in your condition or other health changes. Diabetes puts you at greater risk for oral health problems, as it compromises your immune system. It is important to keep your blood glucose levels under control to minimize the chances of any infections and help the healing process following any oral procedures. Treating gum disease in people with diabetes can help improve blood sugar control.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Does healing after oral surgery take longer in people with diabetes?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Yes, as a general rule, healing after oral surgery takes longer is diabetics. This is because all ti...
What is the link between diabetes and sensitive teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
There is no direct link between diabetes and sensitive teeth, but there is a link between diabetes a...
Can missing my insulin shot complicate my oral health?
It may complicate your diabetes, nutrition, and the way you feel. If you have poor control of your d...
What causes gingivitis with diabetes?
Young individuals with type 1 diabetics are at risk of developing gingivitis at an early age. This f...