Do teeth implants fail in elderly diabetics?

Diseases that affect the immune system like diabetes can decrease the success rate of dental implants. This does not mean that dental implants should not be considered, but that the risks and benefits of the procedures should be carefully explained by the treating dentist.
Elderley diabetics can have successful tooth implants if they maintain good blood glucose control, adhere to their medications, and practice good oral health hygiene.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why does diabetes increase my risk of gum disease?
Diabetes increases the risk of many types of infections, including periodontal disease. Diabetics ma...
How does diabetes affect my saliva production and oral health?
Diabetes can cause a decrease in saliva production in the mouth. This often leads to dry mouth and s...
How often should I see my dentist with diabetes?
Good oral hygiene is important for everyone and especially for people with diabetes. Be sure to see ...
Will my diabetic child have problems losing baby teeth?
Baby teeth begin to loosen and are lost at around 6 to 7 years of age. This is usually a relatively ...