What role does zinc play in oral health and diabetes?

Diabetics have been reported to be zinc deficient and supplementation might help such people. Some research shows that zinc supplementation may improve the control of blood sugar in people with diabetes, at least for short time periods. It is thought that it might work by its improving the insulin response, but this pathway isn't clear. Much more research is needed to understand the role zinc plays in diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What does having bad breath mean in people with diabetes?
Bad breath in people with diabetes could mean that you are not brushing and flossing regularly or th...
Why did my diabetes doctor ask if have routine dental checkups?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Your doctor wants you to be informed about some of the potential dental risks that diabetics face. G...
Will my diabetic child have problems losing baby teeth?
Baby teeth begin to loosen and are lost at around 6 to 7 years of age. This is usually a relatively ...
Do I have to floss if I have diabetes?
Yes. If you're only brushing your teeth, that's only half the battle. Floss cleans where your toothb...