Should I do monthly oral health exams with diabetes?

Millions of Americans have diabetes (diabetes mellitus and type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes). You should check your mouth at home each month. Are there any changes in your teeth or gums. If you notice a loose tooth or discoloration, call your dentist. If you see that your gum is red, inflamed or that there is pus between your gum and teeth, call your dentist. You can save yourself much discomfort later on as you seek treatment for tooth and gum problems early on instead of waiting until you need invasive procedures or more serious treatments. Your dentist may recommend a filling for a small cavity. But if you wait until the cavity is large, you may need an expensive crown—or a root canal if the tooth is infected.

Be sure to follow your monthly oral exam with tooth brushing and flossing. Always brush two or three times a day for two minutes each time. Floss your teeth at least once a day. Use a toothpaste that has fluoride to protect your teeth from tooth decay.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Does having depression affect my oral health and/or diabetes?
Depression can certainly affect your ability to care for yourself or seek care from your doctor or d...
How can I help prevent dental problems associated with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
First and foremost, control your blood glucose level. Then take good care of your teeth and gums, al...
What is the link between gingivitis and diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While there is no conclusive research showing that severe gum disease causes diabetes, studies indic...
Should I tell my dentist that I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, be sure to inform your dentist, as well as report any changes in health. Peopl...