Can I manage oral health and diabetes at the same time?

You can manage both at the same time. The link between bad oral health and complications with diabetes is high blood sugar. If blood sugar is controlled, you're effectively giving yourself better oral care. The things you do to prevent cavities and gum disease, like brushing with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing, rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash can be performed at some of the same times you take your insulin. For example at the beginning of the day. You can also put a toothbrush and toothpaste in your purse, car, gym bag, or in your medication bag with your glucometer and insulin or other medications. For portability, you can buy travel toothbrushes that fold to save space. By keeping these things in the same place, you can save time by performing your oral care and diabetes care close together both in time and saving space. Doing one will help remind you to do the other.
Managing oral health is especially important if you have diabetes. If you have diabetes, you are at greater risk of developing some oral health problems.

Good oral hygiene habits, including professional cleanings at the dental office, are important if you are to control the progression of gum disease and other oral health problems. Regular dental checkups and periodontal screenings are important for evaluating overall dental health and for treating dental problems in their initial stages. Your dentist may recommend more frequent evaluations and preventive procedures, such as teeth cleaning, to maintain good oral health.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why did my diabetes doctor ask if have routine dental checkups?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Your doctor wants you to be informed about some of the potential dental risks that diabetics face. G...
What is the link between gingivitis and diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While there is no conclusive research showing that severe gum disease causes diabetes, studies indic...
Why is my risk for oral infections greater with diabetes?
The risk for dental problems and gum disease with diabetes is increased because of the elevated bloo...
Why did my dentist suggest that I do monthly oral self exams for diabetes?
Your dentist understands the possible effects that diabetes can have on your oral health. People wit...