How can I prevent mouth infections if I have diabetes?

Having diabetes means you may be more likely to get fungal mouth infections such as thrush. Thrush forms white or sometimes red patches in areas of your mouth. These patches can turn into sores. If your blood glucose is high or you are taking antibiotics, you are even more likely to have this problem. Here are some things you can do to reduce your chance of getting an infection:
  • Try to keep your blood glucose on target.
  • Quit smoking.
  • Remove your dentures before going to sleep.
  • Call your dentist or doctor if you think you have a fungal infection.
If you have diabetes, you are at greater risk of developing some oral health problems, including fungal infections. The best method of prevention is keeping your diabetes under control and practicing good oral health routines. Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily and eat a well-balanced diet. A well-balanced diet will also keep blood sugar levels under control.

Also, see your dentist regularly for screenings and cleanings. Regular dental checkups and periodontal screenings are important for evaluating overall dental health and for treating dental problems in their initial stages. Your dentist may recommend more frequent evaluations and preventive procedures, such as teeth cleaning, to maintain good oral health.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

How should I care for my teeth if I have diabetes?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
If you have diabetes and have never flossed or not flossed in a long time, it may be challenging to ...
Does diabetes increase the risk of dental problems?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to know if you have oral health problems related to your diabetes is to see your dentis...
Are dentures safe for diabetics?
The American Dental Association generally advises diabetics not to wear dentures all the time. Thrus...
What should I know if my child has braces and has diabetes?
Your orthodontist needs to know that your child has diabetes and if there are any complications. ...