How should a person with diabetes prepare for a dental procedure?

Make sure you have eaten and taken your diabetes medication, whether it is insulin or an oral diabetes drug. Hypoglycemia is a significant problem during protracted dental treatment. People with diabetes and dental problems often experience disruptions in their normal eating patterns. You should tell your dentist whether or not you feel well enough to endure the procedure. To prevent you from suffering from severe hypoglycemia during the procedure, some dentists may administer oral glucose just before the treatment if you have not eaten.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What should I know if my child has braces and has diabetes?
Your orthodontist needs to know that your child has diabetes and if there are any complications. ...
Do I have to change my insulin regimen before a dental procedure?
Most dental procedures are minor and do not require you to fast or change your insulin regimen. Typi...
How do poor oral care and diabetes lead to periodontitis?
Diabetes can encourage the growth of plaque bacteria in the mouth. Persistently poor removal of plaq...
Can treating my periodontal disease improve my blood sugar control?
Some research suggests that the successful treatment of periodontal disease can improve the control ...