How do poor oral care and diabetes lead to periodontitis?

Diabetes can encourage the growth of plaque bacteria in the mouth. Persistently poor removal of plaque bacteria can lead to gingivitis and, if left untreated, periodontitis. Periodontitis is a more severe form of gum disease that causes the gums to detach from the teeth and the bone supporting the teeth to deteriorate. The teeth can, in turn, loosen and fall out. This condition is heightened by diabetes because, with diabetes, the body is slow to heal and slow to fight infection.

Those who suffer from diabetes are often susceptible to different fungal infections, like thrush. Additionally, those with diabetes may not be able to prevent infection, especially if they take an antibiotic, smoke, or have high blood glucose levels. Fungal infections of the mouth, like thrush, manifest symptoms like red and white patches, swelling, and difficulty swallowing.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why is my risk for oral infections greater with diabetes?
The risk for dental problems and gum disease with diabetes is increased because of the elevated bloo...
How should a person with diabetes prepare for a dental procedure?
Make sure you have eaten and taken your diabetes medication, whether it is insulin or an oral diabet...
Does having depression affect my oral health and/or diabetes?
Depression can certainly affect your ability to care for yourself or seek care from your doctor or d...
How does my blood sugar affect diabetes and oral health?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Just having diabetes increases the risk for periodontal disease. People who have a hard time control...