Why does gum disease affect my blood sugar control?

Although it is not fully understood, new research indicates that serious periodontal disease (periodontitis) can worsen your blood glucose control. Diabetes increases the risk of periodontal disease. But the latest research shows that people with periodontitis are at risk for abnormal levels of blood sugar. Diabetes increases the chance of a bacterial infection in the mouth because of the body's reduced capacity to fight infections. To prevent periodontal disease, it's important to get regular dental checkups and cleanings. Also, stay on top of your oral health by brushing and flossing several times a day. Check for dental problems each month and if you identify a problem, see your dentist. Managing periodontal disease is possible with the help of your dentist.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What role does zinc play in oral health and diabetes?
Diabetics have been reported to be zinc deficient and supplementation might help such people. Some r...
What is periodontal disease with diabetes?
Periodontal disease or severe gum disease is an inflammatory condition that can lead to destruction ...
Should I use an electric toothbrush with diabetes?
It really does not matter what type of toothbrush you have as long as you use it!However, choose a b...
What dental medications should a person with diabetes avoid?
Diabetics should avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone, and a class of...