What does having good glycemic control mean for oral health?

The word "glycemic" means blood sugar. You should maintain good glycemic control. Your doctor will often order a test every 3 to 6 months to determine your HbA1c levels; commonly abbreviated to A1c. This test will show how much of your blood hemoglobin has attached to glucose. An A1c level below 7% is normal. If you have more than 7%, you are considered to be hyperglycaemic (too much sugar in your blood) because you do not have enough insulin. Insulin helps sugar enter cells where it is needed for the body's fuel. Your dentist or oral surgeon needs to know if you have recently had hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why did my dentist suggest that I do monthly oral self exams for diabetes?
Your dentist understands the possible effects that diabetes can have on your oral health. People wit...
How can I help prevent dental problems associated with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
First and foremost, control your blood glucose level. Then take good care of your teeth and gums, al...
Is dental health really that important with diabetes?
Gary ScheinerGary Scheiner
Dental health is even more important if you have diabetes. Gum disease (periodontitis) develops and ...
Does diabetes increase the risk of dental problems?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to know if you have oral health problems related to your diabetes is to see your dentis...