How does periodontitis form with diabetes?

Periodontitis is the most severe stage of gum disease. Having diabetes increases the chance of getting periodontitis. It is a chronic (long-lasting) condition. An acute (short-term) abscess in the gum may be caused by an infection in a pocket or crevice near a tooth. The abscess may cause swelling and intense pain. But the chronic, more severe gum disease may have ongoing symptoms such as bleeding, inflammation and pus when you push the gum against the tooth.

Usually, the only way to save the teeth is for your dentist/hygienist to remove all the deposits of plaque and tartar and show you how to clean your teeth effectively. If you ignore the gums at this point, the periodontal infection will destroy the bones that hold your teeth, resulting in tooth loss. Sometimes surgery on the gum can save the tooth but not in all cases.

Patients who are uncontrolled diabetics are more susceptible to periodontal disease. This is probably because diabetics are more susceptible to infection, especially if the diabetes is uncontrolled. Studies have shown that poorly controlled diabetics will more likely get periodontal disease than those who are well-controlled.

In addition, patients who have periodontal disease may find it more difficult to control their diabetes. Severe periodontal disease can increase blood sugar. This increases the risk for diabetic complications. It is, therefore, very important for patients with diabetes to have their periodontal disease treated.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

How should I care for my teeth if I have diabetes?
Diabetes causes the body to be less resistant to infection, which affects your gums. It’s common for...
Is dry mouth a sign of diabetes?
A dry mouth, or xerostomia, does not necessarily mean you have diabetes. A doctor can help you diagn...
What dental medications should a person with diabetes avoid?
Diabetics should avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone, and a class of...
Do teeth implants fail in elderly diabetics?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Diseases that affect the immune system like diabetes can decrease the success rate of dental implant...