How do I know if my diabetes has caused tooth or gum problems?

To find out if diabetes has caused damage to your teeth or gums, you need to see your dentist. Your dentist is the professional who can assess your oral health and see if you have tooth decay, gingivitis or periodonitis (severe gum disease). If you don't have serious problems with your oral health, then it's important to care for your teeth and gums daily. Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time. Floss once daily. Do an oral health mouth exam once a month and look for problems such as red, swollen gums; bleeding gums; loose teeth; misaligned teeth; pus between the teeth and gum; and bad breath. If you have signs of tooth decay or gum disease, call your dentist and seek a diagnosis and treatment.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health