How does diabetes cause problems with my teeth and gums?

When you have poorly managed blood glucose levels, it can increase the risk of problems with your teeth and gums.  Also, a dry mouth is more common in diabetics and can increase the risk of tooth decay. Gingivitis (gum disease) and periodontitis (severe gum disease) can happen to anyone, but having diabetes increases the risk of these oral health problems. High blood sugar worsens dental problems with diabetes. If you smoke and have diabetes, you may develop a more serious form of gum disease. If you have diabetes, see your dentist for a thorough evaluation and then follow up daily with brushing, flossing and excellent oral home care.

If you have diabetes, you are at greater risk of developing some oral health problems. Because of lowered resistance and a longer healing process, gum disease appears to be more frequent and more severe among those with diabetes. Gum disease is a major cause of tooth loss in adults.

See your dentist if you suspect you have gum disease because the sooner you treat it the better.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
People with diabetes are at an increased risk for gum disease. It is very important to visit your dental office at least twice a year (or more if recommended) for a dental exam and professional cleaning. You should also practice meticulous home care -- brushing twice daily and cleaning between your teeth once a day. One product that has been tested on people with diabetes and found to really help reduce bleeding and gingivitis is the Water Flosser. It has also been shown to be as effective as string dental floss.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why does my dentist need to know if I have diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have diabetes, you are at a greater risk of developing some oral health problems than are peo...
What does having bad breath mean in people with diabetes?
Bad breath in people with diabetes could mean that you are not brushing and flossing regularly or th...
How can I help prevent dental problems associated with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
First and foremost, control your blood glucose level. Then take good care of your teeth and gums, al...
Are dentures safe for diabetics?
The American Dental Association generally advises diabetics not to wear dentures all the time. Thrus...