How can diabetes affect my oral health?

Diabetes can affect your oral health and vice versa. Poorly controlled diabetics are at increased risk of gum disease which in turn can make it more difficult to control the diabetes.

While gum disease is the most common problem, having diabetes also makes you prone to other mouth problems such as oral infections, thrush, poor healing and dry mouth. But good dental care can help you keep your mouth healthy for a smile that will last a lifetime.

Dentist and prosthodontist Dr. Jonathan Levine discusses how diabetes affects dental health. Watch Dr. Levine's video for information on dental health and oral care.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What's the main cause of tooth decay in type 1 diabetes?
Tooth decay in type 1 diabetes results from the interaction of plaque bacteria with dietary sugars. ...
Should I tell my dentist that I have diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have diabetes, be sure to inform your dentist, as well as report any changes in health. Peopl...
What is plaque with diabetes?
Plaque is a sticky coating of bacteria that sticks to the surfaces of the teeth. The bacteria accumu...
Should I do monthly oral health exams with diabetes?
Millions of Americans have diabetes (diabetes mellitus and type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes). You sh...