Why does my dentist need to know if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, you are at a greater risk of developing some oral health problems than are people who do not have diabetes. It's important to let your dentist know you have the disease as well as what medications you are taking and whether the disease is well-controlled.

Studies indicate that severe gum disease may be associated with diabetes but well-designed clinical trials are needed to establish whether a cause-and-effect relationship exists and to determine if, or how, treating gum disease may affect your overall health.

If you have uncontrolled blood sugar, you are more likely to experience symptoms like dry mouth, decreased saliva and bad breath, all of which may indicate that your mouth can't fight infections as well as it should. You may also have gum disease. Your dentist will work with your doctor to better control your blood sugar. This will help to prevent serious problems, and make you better able to cope with dental procedures.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Does healing after oral surgery take longer?
Poorly-controlled diabetics may have impaired circulation and immune system. Consequently they may h...
Do I have to change my insulin regimen before a dental procedure?
Most dental procedures are minor and do not require you to fast or change your insulin regimen. Typi...
Can I manage oral health and diabetes at the same time?
You can manage both at the same time. The link between bad oral health and complications with diabet...
Is dental health really that important with diabetes?
Gary ScheinerGary Scheiner
Dental health is even more important if you have diabetes. Gum disease (periodontitis) develops and ...