Should I see a dentist about diabetes and my oral health?

People with diabetes have special needs. Keep your dentist and dental hygienist informed of any changes in your condition and any medication(s) you might be taking. Postpone any non-emergency dental procedures if your blood sugar is not in good control.

As a diabetic, you should always attend regular dental check ups, making the dentist aware of your diabetic condition. There are several symptoms that may indicate your diabetes is affecting your oral health. Gum disease is one of the most common. This may involve bleeding, soreness or even puss excretion. Your teeth may also become loose or shift out of place. Other symptoms include a burning sensation in your mouth, bad breath and constant dry mouth. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to contact your dentist as soon as possible. Be prepared to discuss your diabetes, what you are doing to control the condition, and any medications that you might be taking. While the best way to reduce your symptoms is to control your diabetes, your dentist may be able to give you advice to help you maintain better oral health. As gum disease can make control of your diabetes difficult, you should always inform your physician of any oral health problems and any treatment you are receiving for them.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health