What dental medications should a person with diabetes avoid?

Diabetics should avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone, and a class of antibiotics called the tetracyclines. If your dentist wants you to take one of these medications before, during, or after a dental treatment, you should question the reason. Your dentist should know that you have diabetes and that it is not appropriate to administer these drugs because they can significantly disrupt control of your blood glucose.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What is the link between diabetes and sensitive teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
There is no direct link between diabetes and sensitive teeth, but there is a link between diabetes a...
Does diabetes change my oral health and risk for infections?
Diabetes can affect your oral health in many ways. Diabetes increases the risk of infections in the ...
Why is my risk for oral infections greater with diabetes?
The risk for dental problems and gum disease with diabetes is increased because of the elevated bloo...
Do I need special dental care to prevent problems with diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have diabetes you are at greater risk of developing some oral health problems, but you should...