Do I have to change my insulin regimen before a dental procedure?

Most dental procedures are minor and do not require you to fast or change your insulin regimen. Typically, you can have a procedure done within two hours of breakfast and your morning insulin injection. Minor dental procedures include cleanings, fillings, root canals, crowns, etc. More involved procedures that require an oral surgeon may require adjustments to your insulin regimen. This should be discussed in detail with your oral surgeon. Only change your insulin regimen with advice of your doctor or dentist.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Why did my diabetes doctor ask if have routine dental checkups?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Your doctor wants you to be informed about some of the potential dental risks that diabetics face. G...
How can I prevent mouth infections if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Having diabetes means you may be more likely to get fungal mouth infections such as thrush. Thrush f...
What is plaque with diabetes?
Plaque is a sticky coating of bacteria that sticks to the surfaces of the teeth. The bacteria accumu...
What is the most common oral complication of diabetes?
Periodontal disease is the most common oral problem associated with diabetes. Gingivitis develops wh...