Can cranberry or cranberry juice help with oral care or diabetes?

Cranberry is a known antioxidant that has many positive health effects. It is high in sugars and some diabetics tend to stay away from it. But as long as your blood glucose is in check, cranberry juice, taken in moderation, can be safe. In oral care, it has been suggested that cranberry has antioxidant ingredients that can protect teeth and gums by reducing dental plaque. Much more research is needed to determine whether this is true.

Evidence that cranberry can improve the management of high blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes is conflicting.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What is the link between diabetes and sensitive teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
There is no direct link between diabetes and sensitive teeth, but there is a link between diabetes a...
How can I prevent gum disease if I have diabetes?
You can help avoid gum disease with good dental habits. Brush your teeth twice a day. Floss ofte...
What causes bad breath in diabetes?
Breath odor in diabetes may be caused by the diabetes or by dental problems. Poor dental health with...
Does diabetes cause a breath odor?
If you have diabetes and notice a fruity breath odor, it may be the result of ketoacidosis. This is ...