How do I manage my blood glucose levels to maintain good oral health?

To manage your blood glucose levels successfully you need to make sure you consistently monitor your blood glucose levels with a blood glucose monitor, also called a glucometer. This is especially important if you have type I insulin dependent diabetes. For those who need to take insulin, routine blood glucose monitoring helps you determine when or how much insulin you should use to make sure your blood glucose, or A1C level, is kept in check. A1C should be checked by your doctor twice a year. The target for A1C is below 7. Your doctor will also check to see if your blood pressure is below 130/80, that your LDL cholesterol is below 100 and your HDL cholesterol is above 40.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What is the link between diabetes and sensitive teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
There is no direct link between diabetes and sensitive teeth, but there is a link between diabetes a...
Should I tell my dentist about my blood sugar fluctuations?
Yes, talk openly with your dentist about any concerns. People with abnormal blood glucose are at hig...
What causes gingivitis with diabetes?
Young individuals with type 1 diabetics are at risk of developing gingivitis at an early age. This f...
What is gingivitis with diabetes?
Gingivitis means an inflammation of the gingiva or gums and often co-occurs with diabetes mellitus. ...