Why did I gain weight after I lowered my blood glucose?

Some oral diabetes medications, such as glipizide and glyburide, and insulin will tend to cause weight gain when you achieve better blood glucose control. You are having a very common experience. When your blood glucose was high, you were losing many calories in your urine. The kidneys can only absorb a limited amount of glucose and then, like a sieve, they let the extra glucose go through into the urine. This loss of glucose in the urine begins at a blood glucose level of about 200 mg/dl. So you waste part of the calories you are eating when your blood glucose exceeds this level. This may sound like a great way to eat too much and also control your weight, but the long-term effect of high glucose is very damaging to many parts of your body. Your body needs insulin to store amino acids (the building blocks of protein in muscle) and to make muscle. So, take your medication as prescribed by your health care team, reduce your food intake, and exercise regularly to control your weight.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
Does diabetes put me at risk for developing thyroid problems?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Perhaps, the thyroid gland in your neck secretes thyroid hormone. Low levels of thyroid hormone (thy...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?