When does glucose spilling (glucosuria) occur?

When the level of glucose in the blood exceeds a certain point, the kidneys will move excess glucose into the urine.  This “glucose spilling” or glucose in the urine is called glucosuria or glycosuria.

The exact number when this occurs varies by person and depends on kidney function.  With normal kidney function, usually only abnormally high glucose levels will result in the presence of glucose in the urine.  However, glucosuria may occur at normal or even low blood glucose levels.  This may be due to improper function of the kidneys; however, it can also occur with normally functioning kidneys. 

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
When should I exercise if I have ketones in my blood in diabetes?
Amy CampbellAmy Campbell
Assuming you have type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes on insulin, you need to be careful about exerci...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?