What is the best immediate snack to give an athlete in diabetic shock?

If an athlete or anyone is in diabetic shock, it is important to raise his or her blood sugar. First give a simple carbohydrate snack, like orange juice, a piece of candy or glucose tablets, spray or gel. The body will quickly break this down into sugar.

After the episode, check the person's blood sugar frequently. Make sure the blood sugar level is rising and returns to a normal level.
Athletes in a state of diabetic shock need to increase their blood glucose levels to an acceptable range (90 to 110) as quickly as possible. If the athlete is conscious, he or she should drink 4 ounces of fruit juice or sports drink. Glucose tablets or 5 to 6 pieces of hard candy are also acceptable. After 15 minutes, the athlete should then recheck his or her blood glucose. Emergency personnel (911) should be called if the athlete is unconscious.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
Read More
Why should people with diabetes be concerned about colon cancer?
Manoj K. Mehta, MDManoj K. Mehta, MD
Data suggests that people with diabetes develop colon cancer more frequently than those without. The...
More Answers
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Start Slideshow
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.