What happens if I have protein in my urine?

Protein in the urine is one of the earliest signs of kidney damage. Ask your healthcare provider for an eGFR blood test to determine your level of kidney function and follow your PCP's recommendations to keep your kidneys healthy.

Also studies show that if you have persistent protein in your urine, you also have an increased chance of having heart problems. You should speak to your healthcare provider about how to reduce your risk of heart and kidney disease. This may include steps such as:
  • Following a low sodium diet
  • Controlling diabetes and high blood pressure
  • Treating anemia
  • Lowering a high cholesterol level (To do this, you may need to follow a diet and exercise program and possibly take medications to lower cholesterol.)
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may order more tests to check on your heart
If your microalbumin test shows protein in the urine, your doctor will repeat the test to confirm the results. Additional blood tests and urine tests may be helpful, such as comparing the amount of protein with the amount of creatinine in your urine. (Creatinine is a waste product from protein and muscles in the body.)

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
Why should I avoid smoking if I have diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Diabetes doesn't do most of us in. Heart attacks do. Remember that diabetes is a huge risk facto...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?