Is there a higher risk of surgical complications if I have diabetes?

Patients with diabetes are at a higher risk of complications during and after a surgical procedure, but many such patients undergo successful surgery every day. Assuming that your surgery is necessary, it is most important that your surgeon and your diabetes doctor work together before the surgery is performed to prevent problems.

You should have a thorough medical checkup of your heart and kidneys, and you should make sure that your blood glucose control is good over the weeks prior to surgery. You should also be sure that you have had plenty of fluids to drink before reporting to the hospital. During the surgery, your doctors may control your blood glucose with intravenous insulin and glucose. Your diabetes doctor may even wish to be present during the surgery. After surgery, tight blood glucose control helps you reduce the risk of postoperative infections. By taking these precautions, you will have the best chances for a successful operation.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
How can I avoid foot problems if I have diabetes?
To avoid foot problems if you have diabetes, examine your feet every day and get a thorough foot exa...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?